WeChat Video Channel (微信视频号) is a short video feature launched by WeChat in 2020. The WeChat Channel is a platform that everyone can use to create and post content. Starting from June 2020, the monthly activity of the video account has exceeded 200 million. The WeChat Channel features four feeds based on the user’s followed accounts, content loved by friends on WeChat, trending content, and geo-localized content based on the user’s location. Because the WeChat Video Channel is fully connected to the entire WeChat ecosystem, which is completely different from the previous WeChat products and WeChat business models, it can connect people, content, and business, so that the official account, mini-program, Store and WeChat Video Channel can form a perfect union. What is really important is that, unlike the other WeChat products, It is a fully open platform. This means that videos and graphics are no longer only for WeChat friends or followers of the official account, but they can reach 1.2 billion WeChat users.
According to 青瓜传媒research on recently WeChat Video Channel algorithm mechanism the “social recommendations” account for 55% of the algorithm, while “hot recommendations” of high-quality content account for only 15%. This proves that the recommendation distribution based on the social relationship chain (you can read our post about private traffic here), such as Moments, likes, shares, and group chats are still the priority of the WeChat Video Channel. Also, considering the system distribution model, all types of high-quality content can be discovered by users in an equal manner.
Type of WeChat Video Channel accounts
Once you open your WeChat Video Channel account you have the possibility to verify it according to your business/area
· Interest Influencers (minimum 1000 followers)
· Professional (athletes, actors, artists, fashion designers etc.)
What you need to know as a company
One official account can only authenticate one WeChat Video Channel account
The name of the official account needs to be consistent with the WeChat Video Channel account
The account name prohibits the use of China’s country names, national flags, emblems, etc. (the names of foreign-funded or joint ventures that include "China" can be used); the name of a foreign country (except when the full name of a foreign institution in China), the names that are exaggerated propaganda and can be deceptive, e.g. "China's best wine".
Why do you need a WeChat Video Channel?
1. Video is trending. Graphics and texts are turning into video because the video is more intuitive and saves time.
2. You can link a WeChat mini shop (微信小商店 ) to the channel and sell goods directly or you can add a different link from Pinduoduo, JD, etc. to each different product/video.
3. Also personal pages can be linked to WeChat mini shop and can promote products from other stores.
4. You can use the WeChat Video Channel not just to post videos but also for live streaming. And yes, you can sell.
5. You can link it to your WeChat official account, Mini- Program, and so on. The WeChat Video Channel can be used to bring traffic to the official account, and the official account can also be used to bring traffic to the WeChat Video Channel.
6. You can use red envelop to promote the channel.
How to attract users in your WeChat Video Channel?
· Content value: refers to whether the audience can obtain useful information from your video content and whether it is helpful to him.
· Emotional value: is whether the audience can arouse emotional resonance through your short video.
Tips and Tricks
· Post 1-3 videos every day.
· Comment in other accounts. The comment area is a place to interact with users, which helps to enlarge your WeChat Channel traffic pool.
· Create a nice and interesting cover of the video
· Avoid too much content in a single video but try to make one key point per video.
· Practical + Interesting. Try to choose original contents that are close to people's lives and to be practical; an F&B account (e.g.) shares food tutorials.
· Background music: When choosing background music, try to choose popular, classic, and dynamic music, which will attract more users' attention.
· It’s better (according to statistical data of Youwang) to release the videos from 7 to 9 in the morning and from 8 to 9 in the evening.